Table of Contents
What are Ribbed Tires?
Ribbed tires are called so because they consist of raised sections of the tire tread that look like ribs. These ribs are made by deep longitudinal grooves that run parallel to the direction in which the tire rolls, which reduces rolling resistance and increases fuel efficiency.
Although ribbed tires come in a large variety of patterns, if you want to use these tires on wet roads, you should opt for straighter ribs that redirect water away from the tires and prevent hydroplaning. Because of their design, ribbed tires also deliver even treadwear.
Use of Ribbed Tires
Ribbed tires are used for better traction on dry and wet roads. These tires are used on passenger vehicles, light duty trucks as well as commercial vehicles and are developed for use on streets and highways.
Ribbed tires that are made for larger vehicles are also specially designed to handle load pressure of the vehicle. These tires are equipped with multiple plies, steel beads, steel belts, and reinforced sidewalls, all of which not just make these tires very durable but also very resistant to bumps, shocks, and punctures.
Best Ribbed Tires for 2022
Based on my experiences, I have created a list of some of the best ribbed tires in the market:
BridgestoneEcopia EP20 is a ribbed tire lineup that offers a comfortable and low-noise ride for riders of smaller vehicles. These tires not just have low rolling resistance but also are designed for fuel efficiency. The tread pattern is also designed to reduce road noise, which it does quite well.
The tire offers superior traction on both dry and wet roads and has high curve stability that allows it to make turns at high speed. In addition, its ribbed design is also great for braking.
- Exceptional handling on dry and wet roads
- Fuel economical
- Quite affordable
- Low road noise
- Does not perform well in heavy snow
PirelliCinturato P7 All-Season Radial Tire
One of the most attractive features of Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires is that they are engineered to be eco-friendly. This is a four-season ribbed tire that provides predictable and reliable handling, tractions in all road conditions, and good comfort. The tires also come with circumferential grooves that prevent your car from hydroplaning.
The tires are also energy efficient and have a long lifespan, thanks to a tread compound that contains high silica and low oil content to reduce rolling resistance and improve braking.
- Eco-friendly design
- Low noise emission
- Grooves help direct the flow of water properly to prevent vehicle from slipping on wet roads
- Long wear
- Reduce rolling resistance
- Tires can lose their grip over time and may start to slip on wet and cold roads
- Low tractions in icy and snowy roads
Michelin Premier All-Season Radial Tire
Michelin Premier A/S Radial Tire is created by one of the most reliable and oldest tire manufacturing companies in the world. They are four-season touring tires that are designed using cutting-edge technology that enables it to reduce noise and travel at high speed on highways quietly.
The tires also use EverGrip technology that allows superior traction on the road. The treads are treated with silica for improved handling and performance. They also have low vibrations and better fuel economy. Michelin claims the tire has a tread life warranty of 60,000 miles but they may wear quicker.
- These tires can handle light snowy and wet conditions when traveling at high speeds
- Low noise and vibration
- Can handle light slick conditions at high speed
- Can fit on SUVs and light-duty trucks as well
- Tires do not last as long as other brands in our list
- A bit expensive
Kumho CRUGEN KL33 Touring Radial Tire
Kumho CRUGEN KL33 Touring Radial Tires designed for SUVs and crossovers. These tires offer solid and reliable traction all year round. The tires have deep micro treads that offer excellent grips for improved balance and handling. The tire shoulder has a nicely rounded shape that allows the tire to maintain continuous surface contact with the road. This offers improved handling on highways.
The tire is constructed with a unique rubber compound that is engineered to help it stay flexible and maintain traction during cold temperatures. The tires work well in both dry and wet conditions.
- Deep micro treads offer a good gripping edge
- Rubber compound helps tire retain grip on cold and wet roads
- Deliver better handling on highways
- Tires come in various sizes for compatibility with SUV
- Tires are quite firm so that may deliver a slightly bumpy ride on rocky roads
- They may also result in vibrations if they are not properly balanced
Continental ContiProContact SSR Run-Flat Performance Radial Tire
One of the very best things about Continental ContiProContact SSR Run-Flat Performance Radial Tire is that it offers extended mobility in case of a puncture, thanks to its Self Supporting Runflat (SSR) technology. This allows the car to run at 50 miles an hour and means you do not have to seek immediate road assistance in the event your tire becomes flat.
The tire offers a beautiful design which delivers a quiet ride. The tire comes in various dimensions so you can find one that fits your car perfectly. The tire also has a symmetrical and notched rib tread design that is treated with an all-season compound that offers enhanced steering responsiveness, giving you constant contact with the road.
- Superior responsive handling
- SSR technology allows car to run on a flat tire
- Offers continuous road contact and enhanced stability
- Comes in several sizes
- The tire may lose pressure over time, so monitor them regularly
- They may give a hard ride in colder temperatures
Firestone FR740 Touring Tire
Firestone FR740 Touring Tire is an all-season high-performance tire that is typically chosen for speedy and sporty sedans, coupes, and sports cars. If you have one of these types of cars, the FR740 is an excellent replacement for them.
The FR740 boasts four circumferential grooves and several sipes while having a smooth design. The tire offers a beautiful balance between an aggressive tread pattern that offers excellent traction and a quiet and comfortable ride. The tires also come with a nice speed rating and last for a very long time so you may use them for years to come.
- Offers good traction with a decent ride
- Has a nice speed rating
- Can last for a very long time
- Come in several different sizes
- May not feel stable during high speed or sharp turns
- Prone to losing traction in standing water
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires are premium quality tires that feature an asymmetric pattern, shoulder blocks and circumferential grooves that combined deliver an excellent grip on dry roads. As one of the bestselling tires in the market these days, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires offer a comfortable ride while reducing road noise, thanks to its unique shock absorbent rubber layer between the treads and steel belt.
This design not just absorbs the impact but also insulates the vehicle from vibration and noise when driving over bumps in the road. It also comes with a sturdier ComfortEdge sidewall that is shock-absorbent and allows the vehicle to turn corners at high speed.
- Asymmetric tire patterns improves road grip and handling on dry and wet roads
- Sidewalls absorb impact and ensure stable turnings at high speed
- The tire design offer 20% more cushioning that also reduce vibrations and noise
- Traction on slush is not good
Cooper CS5 Grand Touring Radial Tire
Cooper CS5 Grand Touring Radial Tires are standard touring tires that are created to be used on sedans, coupes, and crossovers. The tires deliver good traction, secure handling, and an enjoyable ride. The tires are equipped with two steel belts and a single-ply oyster casing. The treads consist of a coupled silica compound and have an asymmetric tread pattern.
These tires are year-round tires since they perform well on dry, wet, and light snowy roads. The tread designs on the tires offer an even treadwear, which ensures longer life of the tire. It also offers increased traction on wet surfaces because of its extra deep grooves and sipes.
- Rubber treads are made of double silica compound which improve traction and braking distance
- Offers secure handling and an enjoyable ride
- Extra deep grooves and sipes help it to retain traction on wet ground
- Comes in different sizes for broad compatibility
- Need to perform better in snow and slush condition
- May deliver a slightly bumpy ride when driving on rocky roads
HankookOptimo H727 offers excellent all-season touring traction and offers a very quiet and enjoyable ride. The treads are made with the latest tire technology,theCarbon Compounding and Footprint Shape Optimization, that offers tapered slots as well as treads that are created to eliminate distracting noises when the car is traveling at high speed.
The tires also have four circumferential grooves that are designed to repel water and prevent hydroplaning in wet conditions.
These tires are a great option for sedans, coupes, and minivans and offer amazing handling and a crisp steering and braking response.
- An inexpensive tire that offer great value for money
- Latest tread design feature that reduce noise emission
- Offers good traction on water
- Excellent performance on dry roads
- Excellent steering and braking response
- 100,000 miles manufacturer warranty
- Maintain a decent grip on snowy roads
- Have been complaints that tread life is not very long
Should I Invest in Ribbed Tires?
If you are looking for good mileage, good traction on dry, wet, and slick noise, even wear, low noise emission, and an enjoyable ride, then performance ribbed tires are great replacements for your OE tires.
Typically, ribbed tires come in four or five-rib designs created by three or four circumferential grooves. However, there are several variations in the pattern. What’s important is that you find out what type of driving you plan to do and what your vehicle needs are. If you live in a warm and rainy place and like to do a lot of interstate driving on your car, ribbed cars may be a great fit for you.
About The Author
I've spent many years selling cars, working with auto detailers, mechanics, dealership service teams, quoting and researching car insurance, modding my own cars, and much more.Read More About Charles Redding